Back in this country, ABC chose that horrific fire in The Bronx NY as its lead. An immigrant family of 22 from Mali was trapped in a three-story home: "Overnight their screams could be heard across the neighborhood. From an upstairs window a desperate mother began tossing her children through blinding smoke," David Muir (subscription required) recounted. CBS' Randall Pinkston introduced us to a couple of neighbors who tried to catch the babies on the sidewalk below. In all eight children and the mother died: "The family apparently tried to put the fire out themselves before calling 911."
Muir noted that the home's smoke detectors had no batteries in them. He pointed out that just two weeks ago the fire chiefs' association had issued an "urgent plea to media outlets" to publicize malfunctioning home fire alarms. NBC did not assign a reporter to the fire.
You must be logged in to this website to leave a comment. Please click here to log in so you can participate in the discussion.