No network had a reporter at a conference of breast cancer specialists in San Antonio but both ABC and NBC covered research announced there on chemotherapy. "We have know for decades that we are treating a lot of women with chemotherapy who really do not need it," ABC's in-house physician Timothy Johnson told anchor Charles Gibson--but oncologists have been unable to identify them. Chemotherapy is "the toughest treatment of all" confessed Johnson; "often with debilitating side effects," noted NBC's Robert Bazell. Bazell told us about progress on two personalized medicine tests: one separates the 8% of cancer patients who benefit from anthracyclines from the other 92%; the second, an Oncotype DX test, analyzed 21 genes in order to spare 40% of patients.
You must be logged in to this website to leave a comment. Please click here to log in so you can participate in the discussion.